How do I generate a Mobi file?
Providing a Mobi file significantly increases the total addressable reader base for your book and offers a much better reading experience for Kindle readers. Over 80% of the books on BookSirens allow readers to download a Mobi format. Kindle readers are more likely to download a book that provides a Mobi format than a book that doesn't, all else being equal.
Following are six ways to get a Mobi file, from best to worst:
- If your publisher handles these things for you, simply ask your publisher to provide you a Mobi file.
- If you use professional book formatting software (ex. Vellum), they will most certainly have a built-in feature to generate a Mobi file. For Vellum, see this.
- If you did NOT create the ebook using Kindle Create, then you may have access to a Mobi copy of your book through the Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) Platform.
- Provide us with an ePub and we can try to generate a Mobi from that. Read our FAQ on generating an ePub if you don't have one already.
- Hire a book formatter on a site like Fiverr to make a nicely formatted Mobi file for you. Find someone with good customer ratings; they are more affordable than you might think.
Tip: Do not attempt to generate a Mobi from a PDF. It almost never works.